Held at the Hippodrome de Longchamp (one of Paris's three major race courses), the whole experience was fantastic. It started with a Metro ride (I even had to change lines ... I think I might be getting the hang of this whole Metro thing ... I think I may even be beginning to like it!), and then incredibly well-organised free buses to the Track (about a 10 minute ride). Ques for tickets that moved efficiently given the number of people (and only 10 Euro to get in, or about $15 at home) and I was in the gates. What a mix of fashion & cultures. Because it's hosted by Qatar it's all very Aladdin and the Forty Thieves ... which was so cool. And there's none of this take an eski and a couple of blankets and sit on the grass business. Not that there isn't grass, and not that people weren't sitting around watching all the action on the huge screens, but there are heaps of food outlets (baguettes, crepes, ice cream, coffee, alcohol) all over the place that even ques for these moved quickly. Alcohol is expensive, but the food wasn't too bad & good quality (of course! We're in Paris!!! helloooo!)
There were no Fashions on the Field, or women walking around barefoot at the end of the day. Some ladies wore hats (and I managed to spy a few gorgeous creations), but I think that's more for the Private areas and Boxes ... there were plenty of jeans and t-shirts around the place too. Kilts, men wearing horse heads on their own heads, women in beautiful dresses and killer heels, some women in almost track-suit pants but wearing hats! Germans, a huge number of Japanese, Americans, plenty of Britts, of course the French. I didn't hear another Aussie accent in the crowd but I'm sure they were there.
You couldn't get close to the stables or the mounting yard, but you could watch the horses in the presentation area before they went onto the track. You also got to see the winners presentations in that spot too.
But once you get serious about the racing and onto Track Side, there are these two humongous stands - where on the lower section people are able to sit on the concrete steps the whole way along - full of race goers. And between them and the track is bitumen. Definitely standing room only!! I was lucky enough to manage to get myself on the fence & near the finish line for the 4th race of the day; and for the 5th, which was the big race for the day - the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe - I wasn't too far away, but so were a bucket load of other people!! Towards the end of the race I managed to get myself in a spot so I could see a screen & the finish line, so I got a little of the race on film ... fingers crossed it works ok!! It has sound too, which is great - they got so excited & in French!!! For those who care, Treve (usually jockey Frankie Dettori's filly, but he was out with an ankle injury, so a French jockey - Thierry Jarnet rode) won.
I left at the end of the day a few Euro's poorer than when I went in (not that I'm a big gambler, and I always seem to manage to back the 2nd or 3rd place), but it was so much fun - I'd definitely go back & can't wait to get home for what's left of the Spring Racing Carnival! (hint, hint if anyone wanted to organise something ...) Giddy up!!
***Remember, you can click on the pictures to view in a larger size ***
| Race 4 - Finish |
| Watching the race... |
Even Donkey wanted to get in on the action... |