Wednesday, 9 October 2013

The Pantheon

Monday was going to be a slower day for me ... my legs were still sore from the day before!! But even tho I took my time getting out of the house (hey, I am on holidays after all!) I have worked out that I still ended up walking about 10kms ... the problem when plans change! After a late lunch of really yummy roast chicken with gratin dauphinois (those delicious potatoes in cream) at one of my local cafes, I wandered towards Notre Dame - the queue was enormous!!! I have no idea where it even started, but it certainly wasn't moving (and as anyone who has read my previous blogs knows, I am not a fan of queuing!). I ended up strolling up past the Sorbonne and over to the Pantheon (I hadn't made it there my last trip).

This is an interesting building; it started its life as a church/crypt in the 6th Century, then by the mid-1700's the old building was demolished and what we have today commenced construction. It took such a long time (over 30 years) to build, it had a couple of different architects. It's been a church, a secular building, a church and now a secular building again. It's also the home of the tombs of quite a few famous French folk, but the few I knew were Victor Hugo, Voltaire, the Curie's and Zola.













On the way home, I stumbled across a fabulous Greek area of town, lots of colour!