Wednesday, 16 October 2013

The Left Bank and the Louvre

Sunday in Paris is a day for families. NOTHING is open, except for museums. There is no shopping to be done (even the squillion supermarkets all over the city close by 1:30pm, and that's if they open at all for the day), many cafes stay closed, even the Metro has services running every 4 minutes instead of 3! The city takes it back a notch and relaxes for the day. It's a strange thing for a gal from a city that's always humming with activity, where you can shop any day of the week, and if you've run out of milk you can just duck out to the 7-11 around the corner at 7am, or 9pm (aka, Melbourne); it's kinda like leaving your mobile phone at home ... at first something isn't right, you feel lost, naked even! But then, after a while, a few "that's right, it's not with me"s, you don't know why you don't do it more often! You feel liberated!! Not a soul can disturb you. Bliss.

It was a perfect Autumn day, the sun was shining with all its might, and the chill in the breeze kept you moving. I decided to stroll down the Boulevard toward the New Opera House and the area of Bastille I had stayed in on my last visit. It was nice to know where I was and see the same shops (and they were still there!). Today I was crossing the river and going to the Left Bank. First stop ended up being the Arab History Museum (I'd never heard of it before, but as I was walking along I could see people on the roof top, and me being me, I wanted to know what it was and how I could get up there too!!!! Seriously, I would be in if I fell in!) I got a nice view of Notre Dame, can't say I stayed for the museum bit tho (it was free entry), but only because it was such a sublime day and I wanted to make the most of every moment of sunshine I could!



A bit more walking, a spot of lunch, a bit more walking, and I ended up being drawn to some great jazz music coming from the vicinity of Notre Dame. I was intrigued. I'm still not sure exactly what the event was, but there were oodles of people there, and it had something to do with disabled athletics. Anyway, the music and the atmosphere were both great! Have I mentioned, there were people everywhere?! It was fabulous!





Back over to the Left Bank, and I managed to find both Les Deux Magots and Cafe de Flore (which really isn't that hard given they are right next door to each other!) - both Latin Quarter institutions, and both packed to the brim. So didn't get a chance to go in to either. Next time! A little more walking (technically I was heading towards the Eiffel Tower, but I didn't quite make it), and in St Germain-des-Pres, I stumbled across this awesome Jazz band, playing literally on a street corner. They were so good, I bought their CD! The Buddy D Band (you can have a listen if you want, at www.myspace.com/thebuddydicolletteband)






It was a big day for music - a classical pianist outside the Musee d'Orsay

Monday, and I finally made it to the Louvre. For some reason I thought I'd missed more last time I was there, but I found some respite from the crowds as I looked around the Egyptian & Greek exhibits, followed by the Napoleon III Apartments (the bit that I had really wanted to get to that day, and well worth it). Not much more to say about the Louvre really - lots to look at, lots of people to jostle for photo positions with, lots of reasons to not go back for a while! (and I'm just saying now, I really like chandeliers) BUT, as a part of the ticket, you are entitled to admission to the Delecoix Gallery over in St Germain-des-Pres, so after most of the day wandering around indoors, I took them up on the offer and made the walk over the bridge to have a look around. It's only a small exhibition (and I didn't take any photos), but it was nice to see.

I think the biggest highlight of the day was stopping at Laduree on Rue Bonaparte and having their signature tea & a sweet treat (a Carolle Feuilletee Rose Framboise) in their oriental tea room (which has apparently just been renovated)... yum! The next best thing was the two Australian ladies who were seated at the table next to me, just as my food arrived. An hour-and-a-bit of conversation later (they were both from Melbourne & 'arty'), we discovered that we both know someone!!!!! I'm not saying who ... we have planned to surprise them (although it may take a few weeks for the photo to be posted on facebook). Let's just say, Melbourne Water. How these things happen, I never know. But it was so fantastic!